“The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating.” –John Walters.
You’re all welcome back to Pen kitchen. Like you all know, this column is to give us knowledge and idea on how different meals are being prepared and also to introduce us to some new delicacies.
This week, we will be talking about PERIWINKLE which is also known as ‘Sea Snail’. Periwinkles can be found all over the world. They are, however, regarded a delicacy in most African cuisines.
This delectable seafood is a sight to behold. Periwinkle meat is high in protein.
In Nigeria, it is utilized in a variety of cuisines such as Edikang Ikong, Afang soup and Efo Riro.
You can also make Periwinkle sauce, which is palatable for any food like rice, yam etc. Periwinkle sauce is so easy to prepare because it doesn’t require many ingredients.
The Ingredients are:
* 10 or more periwinkles
* 1 Onion
* Maggi and Salt (to taste)
* Curry and Thyme
1. Wash and boil the periwinkles with salt.
2 . Drain out the periwinkles after it finished boiling.
3 Put your pot or frying pan on fire and pour oil in it.
4. Slice onions inside the oil and add your blended pepper.
5. Spicy the pepper to your taste.
6. Pour the periwinkles inside the sauce and give it a stir fry until it is soft.
7. Add little water and cover it to stem up for like 3 minutes.
8. Wow, our yummy periwinkles sauce is ready!
You can enjoy or serve your periwinkle sauce with any dish of your choice.
Did you know
*That periwinkles helps in improving your memory?
* When dehydrated, the skin can become more vulnerable to skin disorders and wrinkling?
*Drinking water instead of soda can help with weight loss?
Do have lovey days and let’s meet next week for another episode of pen kitchen.
Olasehinde kabirah is a 400 level Political Science student at Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.